Saiga is one of the most feline like characters in all of Upotte!! She has feline ears and tail closely resembling the Siberian Tiger, like RPK with the distinction of her hair and fur colour being pink instead of blonde like RPK's is. When showing exaggerated expressions she usually gains three whiskers on each cheek and some type of fang.
Overconfidence and haughtiness are trademark traits of the infamous Saiga. When first engaging against the girls of Seishou she always wants to show them the "suppressing power of auto-shotguns", but when she is confronted with any opposition she tends to crumble with an "Impossible Nya~~~".
While she has run into many situations that should have subdued her bombastic demeanor, Saiga quickly rebounds to her excessive self confidence shortly afterwords.
Authority and Saiga tend to not commingle well as she scoffs at those in charge like PKM or the three-stripes that she viewed as "looking down on her" for being a two-stripe. In that vein, Saiga hates being treated like a child as demonstrated when she lashed out at RPK for treating her like she was Bizon.
Haughty, overconfident, and expressive, Saiga is the loud and boisterous auto-shotgun whose personality matches the loud and boisterous report of her gun form.
Design and PrototypesEdit
Saiga 12 - Standard variant in 12 gauge. Can be in sporter configuration or with a standard AKM stock and pistol grip
Saiga .410 - Same as Saiga-12 but chambered in .410 gauge
Saiga 20 - Same as Saiga-12 but chambered in 20 gauge
Saiga AKS-12 - Like the Saiga-12 but uses the AKM gas system and accepts AKM style hand guards instead of the normal Saiga hand guards
Saiga-12C - Saiga-12 with skelentonized folding stock
Saiga-12K - Saiga-12 with a short barrel [16.9 inches]
Saiga-12S - Experimental version of the Saiga-12 that is pump-action instead of semi-automatic or fully-automatic
Saiga-12 EXP-01-030 - Heavily modified Saiga-12 with a Magwell adapter to use straight pull magazines instead of the traditional rock and lock magazines, along with a pic-rail welded to the dust cover and an AKM style sight. It also has a cap to lock in AKM style hand guards.
Durability and ReliabilityEdit
- Badan Narkotika Nasional
- Police and Security Forces
- Министерство внутренних дел [Ministry of Internal Affairs]
At the time of writing the current political shenanigans of nation states means that current importation of the Saiga line of rifles is banned for the United States as part of the economic sanctions against Russia. The only way to get an actual Saiga, in any form, is from second hand markets which have taken the opportunity to raise the price well above the one-thousand dollar mark since they are "rare and banned".
There are alternatives to a Saiga if you want a Kalashnikov based shotgun and are in the United States. There is the Turkish Lynx LH-12, the DDI-12, the Kalashnikov USA (no affiliation with any Russian armories) KS-12, the Cheetah 12, and the Chinese Catamount Fury. However, none of these are an actual Saiga and until the restrictions are repealed the United States will only have the second hand market for an actual Saiga.
Unfortunately, our oppressed and freedom deprived friends in the great white north wastes of Canada can not own either the Saiga nor any of the clones as they are considered a variant of the original AK and are therefor prohibited to Canadian citizen.
In Switzerland these are available and are able to be owned with a standard license and purchase. A special note on another European country, in Russia the Saiga-12 in particular is one of and if not the single most popular firearm because of the ability to own one with just an easy to acquire smooth bore license.
- ↑ Cutshaw, Charles Q. (2006). Tactical Small Arms of the 21st Century: A Complete Guide to Small Arms From Around the World. Iola, Wisconsin: Gun Digest Books. p. 335. ISBN 0-87349-914.
- ↑ https://kalashnikov.com/en/press-service/news/news_287.html
- ↑ http://archive.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/crisis_in_kyrgyzstan.html [Picture 5]
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20120903171159/http://www.arms-expo.ru/049051053057124054053053054.html
- ↑ https://www.rbth.com/articles/2012/02/07/us_police_to_buy_russian_rifles_14326.html
- ↑ https://www.guns.com/2012/02/06/izhmash-saiga-12-continues-to-conquer-american-market/
- ↑ https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/20140716.aspx
- ↑ https://sdsimports.com/products/ch-12-semi-auto-shotgun-12g
- ↑ https://www.tacretailer.com/2016/04/20/heres-a-first-look-at-the-ddi-12-semi-automatic-saiga-killer/
- ↑ https://kalashnikov-usa.com/product/ks-12/
- ↑ https://www.ammoland.com/2017/07/cheetah-12-shotgun-review/
- ↑ https://www.centuryarms.com/sg1875-n.html
- ↑ http://www.firearms-safety-course.com/list-of-restricted-and-prohibited-firearms
- ↑ https://www.ch.ch/en/acquiring-firearm/
- ↑ https://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/russia.php